Thursday, January 24, 2008

/Facepalm

You know what they say about speaking too soon, well I start this blog and gripe about non-tanks then I go and put my large, plate shod, dwarven foot in it.

Allow me to enlighten you.

The Story.


I had a great pug today. This is strange in itself because I almost never pug (one too many bad experiences), yet today I puged Heroic Slave Pens because a guildie was asking if anyone wanted to come and I trusted his ability to preform well in a heroic (he's the best hunter I know to be honest). We ended up with the Hunter (BM), 2 combat Rogues, a holy/disc Priest and Me.

Anyway there we were tearing through the trash with no mistakes and completely owned the first boss. Then I type to the group "brb just need a quick ciggy", we were making good time in the dungeon and thought everyone could do with a quick breather. So I go off and have my ciggy come back, let everyone know I'm back, then pull the already marked mobs (2 man pull 1 cc one tank).

Has anyone spotted the mistake in this sequence of events?

Something missing prehaps?

Thats right well done 5 tanking brownie points to you.

I never asked if they were ready. Next thing you know the second mob peals off heading behind me, as it should as it was marked to be freeze trapped, however instead of going into the hunters trap like a good boy it goes and squishes our priest ... /wipe, and I'm lying face down wondering what the hell had happened. From that comment can anyone point out my second mistake?

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

YES thats right I had not turned my camera angle so that I could keep an eye on what was happening behind me. /Facepalm.

It turns out that my hunter guildie was busy typing to someone in whisper when I pulled and only realizes whats happening when our healer goes splat. This leaves me in the position of apologizing profusely to everyone in the group, and promising that it wont happen again. I even offered to contribute 5G towards each of their repair bills, so horrific was my mistake (they all refused and were very good natured about the whole thing. So if you happen to read this, thank you).

What can I say? I was totally self-owned.

All Is Not Lost

I can however alleviate some of my guilt over this by blaming it on the hunter (This is a guild tradition where any hunter in the group automatically gets the blame for any wipe, especially when it's clear they had nothing to do with it. If no hunter is in the group we simply blame one who happens to be online at the time).

There is however more than mere prejudice for this 1) My hunter friend had commented before I got back that "Everything was going well", thereby jinxing us, 2) He was marking and he had marked one of the mobs for him to trap when they were immune to CC (tenuous I know but there you have it).

Also there were two more wipes, one caused by one of the rogues forgetting he was not stealthed when approaching a mob to sap, the other caused by the same rogues UI going mad and confusing several of his buttons, the problem being his distract button became his throw button :(.

I blame patches, I know they usually sent my UI into fits as I'm addicted to mods and almost non of my UI is original.

In the end though we one-shotted all the bosses (only trash wipes) and I completed my daily heroic quest which I had been saving making a total of 5 juicy Badges of justice. On another note I'm not sure whether to blow some of my badges on that lovely tanking ring or continue to save them for the pants. Decisions make my brain hurt so I will put this one off for now.

No comments: