Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Progress.

Tonight we went to continue our attempts on Lady Vashj. We had 9 attempts on her with the night culminating and a wipe at 3% ... 3 ... Friken ... %.

/Aaaargh!!

/Headdesk

/SheIsSoDeadNextTime

We managed to get past phase two twice in the nine attempts, it was almost three times but on one attempt Deadly Boss Mods wigged out and announced that we had entered phase 3 while one of the generators was still active. This meant that some of the stairs people abandoned their post early, hence wipe time.

I can't help but feel a bit proud that when I went over the WWS report on the night, I noticed that the two times we did pass phase two, two of the tainted cores came from the western steps. Those were my steps I owned them, and by the end of the night I knew them like the back of my hand, and on many an occasion had a very close inspection of them face down on the ground. Let me tell you that traversing three length of stairs with these short legs ain't easy, but I managed ... kind of. Being arms and spec'ing into Improved Intercept helped a lot, meaning it had a 20 second cooldown instead of a 30 second cooldown.

This brings me neatly on to the next part of my post. I can help feal that I was both wasted and made the best use of by being put on the steps. Wasted because it severely gimped my dps. Made the best use of ... well for several reasons. One reason was that when a Tainted Elemental appeared I was there and looting the Tainted core the moment it died. Another was that as an ms/slam warrior I was probably the best suited of the melee classes for the steps. This is because I can unleash substantial burst damage through the use Mortal Strike, Whirlwind and Victory Rush, and only using slam when all the others were on cooldown. Also as I stated earlier spec'ing into Imp Intercept allowed me to traverse the steps faster than any other melee class I can think of.

I also made a few small changes to maximize my dps throughout the entire fight.

One was that I switched out my Figurine - Khorium Boar trinket for my Skyguard Silver Cross trinket. From analyzing the previous nights encounter I noticed that I was landing the vast majority of the killing blows on the elementals. This sugested to me that I'd be better off with the extra 1.5% crit and 140 AP as opposed to 84 AP during Phase 2. As it turned out I remained under the Combat Valor buff for most of phase 2.

Another was that I used Adamantite Sharpening Stones ... for most of each fight. Let me explain. I could only realistically make use of Windfury Totems in phase 1 ... so I did. At the start of phase 2 I would apply a sharpening stone to my axe since I would be far far away from any WF loving. Also I was to discover that due to the nature of phase 3 we were moving around so much that I couldn't use WF then either (the first time we made it to P3 I removed the sharpening stone effect hoping to gain a little WF love ... It was not to be. Unrequited love ... it hurts me so).


Finally I think I shall leave you with our comic moment of the night. During one attempt we had two people calling out over vent that they had the Tainted core, El and KJ. After much confusion it was determined that El was the one who actually had it, but a wipe happened as these things do.

When we were rebuffing KJ apologized saying that "I saw a green thing arc towards me and then my screen turned green, so I though I had the core... but it was just one of the elementals spitting at me." much laughter was had by all.

The lesson here is beware the elemental spit. No matter how much you want to throw it at someone else it's not going to shut off any generators.

So until next time this is Stuntyone the Incompetent Warrior signing off.

No comments: