Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wipe Aggro.

I just don't get it. I know it's a problem for some people, sometimes a big problem, but not for me. I can, and have, wiped for hours on end on the same boss never getting bored. The reasons for this may be the same reasons why I play the game, and have continued to for so long. Lets look at some of the reasons people play WoW.

Loot: Yeah loots nice but it doesn't really float my boat. Don't get me wrong I'm never going to turn down an upgrade, but I'm sure as hell not going to throw a hissy fit because I lost a roll.

New Content: This is more along my general line of interest. I love to see new content, but then again I love to run the instances I've done a score of times already. So thats not quite it.

Other People: Now we're talking. This I think is it. World of Warcraft is an MMO, thats Massively Multiplayer Online, the operative word for me being Multiplayer. The reason I have continued to play WoW for over a year when the normal life span of any game I play is three month, is because of the interaction with other players. It's just what I love about the game.

Let me give you an example.

The other day I got a whisper from a friend of mine asking if I would tank Zul'Aman for his guild as one of their tanks had to go. I turned him down at first, not because I didn't want to, (I had played with lots of people in his guild and really enjoyed it) but because I was speced for dps and didn't have the gold to respec. I hadn't done my dailies in about a week at this stage so my bank balance was looking pretty grim, and this whisper came just as I was trying to do some of them. He then offered to pay for the respec so I accepted. Now this guy makes gold hand over fist so I didn't feel too bad taking the gold, and it was a good thing he gave me the gold for a respec to prot and back to dps, because I was to spend over 56 gold on repair bills by the end of the night. I wouldn't have been able to afford to repair otherwise.

To cut a long story short (I know it's not something I normally do) we spent the next two hours wiping on the first boss. Now none of us in the raid had done ZA before so it was bound to be a bit rocky, not to mention that some of the raid members were a bit under geared for the instance, and now that I think about it there were only two healers and the Boomkin in his healing gear, so I'm impressed that we did as well as we did.

In fact the only reason we wiped on the last attenpt was because at 46% the Boomkin went oom, and I died. I was tanking the the boss in his bear form and the boomkins HoT's were keeping me up through the silences. So he goes oom = I go splat. after that we had to give up as some of us (me included) had work in the morning and it was getting pretty late.

At one point during the two hour wipe fest a curious guild officer asked if I was puging ZA, since I was the only person from the guild in there. I told him what was going on while doing a corpse run, adding jokingly "Biiig mistake.". And it wasn't a mistake, I was having fun, playing with people I like, seeing new content, and learning about the encounter. We were getting better each and every time we tried him.

Well the moral of this long, rambling, incoherent post is that if you are one of those people that suffers from wipe aggro, just take a deep breath, and think about why your playing the game, and if downing bosses in the shortest amount of time possible features heavily in it, then you may just be playing the game for the wrong reasons.

So until next time this is Stuntyone the Incompetent Warrior signing off.

No comments: